Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Reflections on life as my birthday draws near

As my birthday draws closer and closer, this year I find myself extra grateful for the gift of life.  I won’t repeat what I said last time all over again here, but since my last birthday, I went through a very trying physical battle that left me close to death’s doorstep; had it not been for God’s providence – and talented doctors, nurses, and health professionals – I would not be here today.  The old hymn sums it up well for me: “To God be the glory; great things He has done.”

Those who know me best know that I’m not a person who broadcasts and promotes myself.  To do so would be arrogant, short-sighted, and unhelpful to anyone.  Instead of foolishly showcasing myself, I submit that one of the sentiments that I want to capture my life story is this statement: it’s not about Kevin; it’s about the great God Kevin worships and serves.  You see, my life was changed forever when I met Jesus.  He is my life, my hope, my everything.  Without Him, I am nothing.  Without Him, ultimately I have nothing to write that is of any lasting value.    

2 Corinthians 5:17 is a powerful verse from the Bible (“if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation, old things have passed away, behold, all things have become new”), but a few verses prior to this one, we also read some powerful words.  Verse 15 says, “And he [Jesus] died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again” (italics added for emphasis).

When a person becomes a Christ-follower, it means so much more than going to Heaven when you die (although this is a fantastic perk, to be sure).  Rather, Jesus comes in and revolutionizes your life; He gives supernatural power to help us to walk an exciting, adventurous path with Him right by our side.  Walking with Him is to live a life of hope, tranquility, and fulfillment.  One of my favorite Bible verses is from John 10, where Jesus states that He came to give us life “more abundantly” (verse 10).  Don’t get me wrong: this doesn’t imply that life won’t hurt sometimes.  However, even in the midst of unspeakable pain, He is always there; He gives peace, help, and comfort, in the midst of the worst storms.

To conclude, I’ve often said that Rebecca St. James is a hero of mine.  She has consistently been a strong voice for God, and a good example.  I think there is a renewed interest in her life and ministry because of the new film “Unsung hero” – a film that I recommend to you.  I used to have a VHS tape highlighting Rebecca and her family called “No secrets” from back in 1998.  The tape may be gone, but thanks to You tube I found the content again.

At one point in the program, she stated, “We don’t have to get caught up in the whole thing of anger and resentment and bitterness.  We can find hope.  There is hope…I say from the stage, ‘Jesus is the hope’.”  Then in another segment, she said it a little differently: “There’s something better.  There’s something better than image…There’s something better than delving into drugs, into alcohol, into sex.  And it’s Jesus.”  An “amen” belongs here!

God bless,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment