Friday, August 26, 2011

Seven sins to avoid

Recently, I’ve been thinking about a list of sins that is traditionally called the “seven deadly sins.”  The reason for this is because they were mentioned in an episode of “Batman: The Brave and the Bold” where Batman teams up with Captain Marvel.  These seven sins are as follows: pride, envy, gluttony, lust, wrath, greed, and sloth.  This is not an exhaustive list, of course (for example, consider another list of sins in Proverbs 6:16-19), but it’s still an applicable list.
I did some Internet research on these seven vices, and according to one website, this list has been around since way back in the 4th century.  Despite its age, they are still relevant and timely today.  If I took the time, I could provide you with a Bible verse or passage showing that God wants us to steer clear of these seven sins.
I don’t know about you, but when I read this list, I am humbled as to how far short I fall.  I’m not guilty of everything on that list, but I certainly battle with several of them.  You’ll never hear me claim that I am a perfect man, because that’s not so.  I have recently obtained great comfort from the words of 1 John 1:7, “The blood of Jesus, his [God's] Son, purifies us from all sin.”  Not some sins, all sin.  Once again, as I often say, we can’t use this truth as an excuse to just go out and sin all we want.  But we can celebrate that God will forgive us of our shortcomings.  Praise the Lord!
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment