Monday, February 20, 2012

The wonders of Heaven

Do you remember that classic scene in “The Wizard of Oz” when Dorothy and Toto first arrive in Oz?  The mighty tornado has lifted them from Kansas to the new world.  You’ll recall that up to this point in the movie everything and everyone has been in black and white, but when Dorothy opens the front door of the house, Oz appears in beautiful color!  There’s glorious music playing, sights Dorothy has never seen, and probably smells that she has never smelled.  She says to her dog, “Toto, I have a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.”

This is the scene that I play in my head when I try to imagine Heaven.  Although this is far from the perfect illustration (for one thing, you’ll remember that Dorothy almost immediately wanted to leave Oz) it’s a tiny sliver of what Heaven might be like!  The fact is, Heaven is going to have sights, smells, sounds, and wonders that our human brain simply can’t comprehend while we are still here on Earth. 

I’m not planning on dying anytime soon, that’s up to God.  For the remainder of my time on Earth, I’m passionate about doing and being whatever God desires for me on this Earth.  I want to point others to Him and how great He really is.  To put it simply: my will is to do His will.  But, having said all that, I must confess that I do long for Heaven.

Incidentally, after talking about how glorious Heaven is, I can't conclude without briefly pointing out that there is a misleading fallacy being presented today.  It teaches that everyone will one day get to Heaven.  That’s not what the Bible teaches.  The Bible teaches that Heaven is reserved for those who have put their faith and trust in Jesus Christ alone.  Jesus Himself said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father but by me” (John 14:6).  Acts 4:12 says that there is no other name under Heaven by which man can be saved except for Jesus.

When I was a boy, God used Billy Graham at one of his crusades to help me realize that I was a sinner in need of a Savior.  I chose to go forward at the end; I cried out to God to save me and asked Him to come into my life.  I became a Christian that day, on my way to eventually seeing Jesus face to face in Heaven!   

Kevin

"And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes: there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying.  There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away" - Revelation 21:4 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment