Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Discussing "The Dark Knight Rises"

The movie “The Dark Knight Rises” was released back in 2012 and so perhaps my thoughts on it should have been submitted a while ago.  But, as of late, I’ve been contemplating the facets of this movie again.  This film is an interesting one.   It has aspects about it that I liked and aspects that I didn’t like.  So today, I’m going to talk about 3 things that I enjoyed, and then next time, I’ll mention 3 things that I thought could have been done better.
 
Please note that there will be major spoilers in my thoughts from start to finish (except for #1); keep this fact in mind if you haven’t seen this flick and you want to be surprised.

#1: Anne Hathaway’s performance/the Catwoman scenes

I can’t overstate how much I enjoyed Anne Hathaway’s performance as Selina/Catwoman.  She nailed the intricacies of the character perfectly.  Every scene that she in is captivating.  While Michelle Pfeiffer is still my favorite Catwoman, Anne does an absolutely incredible job.

#2: The Batman/Bane fight

Specifically, I’m referring to how Bane actually defeats in the middle of the film.  Bane lifts Batman over his head and drops him on his knee, breaking Batman’s back.  This sequence is straight out of the comic book entitled “Batman Knightfall” (only in the comic book Bane did this in the Batcave).  In the comic storyline, as Bruce recovered, another character became Batman and this new guy was the one who actually defeated Bane.  I never particularly liked that development. That’s why I love how in “The Dark Knight Rises” Bruce recovers, both physically and psychologically, and he is the one who stops Bane once and for all!

#3: Batman saving the city from the atom bomb

I loved the notion of having Batman save the city by flying the bomb away from the city limits and dropping it safely into the ocean.  This was the perfect conclusion; this was Batman being the savior of Gotham that he was born to be.  It was even more fitting to see that Batman faked his death, and was mentally ready to move on with his life as Bruce Wayne.  Some have wondered how Batman survived the whole ordeal.  After all, it was the middle of the ocean.  My response is Batman always has a contingency plan.  There was a completely feasible option that he employed, we may not fully understand what it was, but he definitely had a survival plan in mind.

To be continued!

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment