Sunday, November 2, 2014

What does the phrase "I shall not want" mean?

“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want” (KJV).  Those are the familiar words of Psalm 23:1.  For years, I would read that phrase “I shall not want” and wonder what exactly it meant.  The Lord is my shepherd; therefore I have no dreams, plans, desires, or ambitions whatsoever?  How could that be what the verse was saying?  I didn’t understand it.
 
I’ve come to understand that this phrase has more to do with the fact that God will supply the basic provisions of life.  Got questions.org wrote an article on this that was helpful to me.  Here’s a quote from it, and I would encourage you to check out the link.  “Psalm 23:1-3 tells us that the shepherd meets the sheep’s every need: food, water, rest, safety, and direction.  When we as believers follow our Shepherd, we, too, know that we will have all that we need.  We will not lack the necessities of life, for He knows exactly what we need.”


Let me re-write that last sentence again: “We will not lack the necessities of life, for He knows exactly what we need.”  This jibes with the way other translations render Psalm 23:1.  For instance, the NCV translates it this way, “The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need.”  The World English Bible offers, “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall lack nothing.”  The CEV says, “The Lord is my shepherd; I will never be in need.”

In Matthew 6, Jesus says, “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?  And why do you worry about clothes?  See how the lilies of the field grow.  They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field…will he not much more clothe you?”  I can trust my Heavenly Father, My Heavenly Shepherd.  He will provide for me.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment