Friday, November 14, 2014

The simplicity of the gospel

I recently heard someone on the radio say that they have been a Christian for their whole life.  I’m sorry to be contentious, but this actually isn’t possible.  I know it may seem like I’m being rather nitpicky, but this is actually very important.  Let me illustrate.

Periodically I’ll notice a little baby or toddler wearing football attire, declaring allegiance to a certain team.  It’s adorable, but in reality, that baby is not really a fan of that team; the person who dressed that infant is.  Sometime that child has to make up his or her own mind about whether they want to root for that team.  It’s the same with Christianity.  At some point, you have to decide that you want to have a right relationship with God, through Jesus Christ.  The Bible says, “Yet to all who received Him, those who believed in His name, he gave the right to become children of God” (John 1:12).

I’ve talked about this before, but here’s how it happened for me: I went to a Billy Graham crusade in 1987.  The message of the gospel of Jesus Christ is so simple that even a child can understand it and that’s what happened to me.  Graham spoke about how the Bible says that all have sinned; this sin is offensive, vile, and repugnant to God.  Because of this sin, I stood guilty before Him; worthy of condemnation.  It didn’t matter if I lived a good, virtuous, upright life because no one could ever perform enough acts of righteousness to appease God’s holy hatred against sin.
 
But God, out of His amazing love for humanity, sent Jesus to Earth to die on the cross to satisfy the righteous anger God has for sin.  Only Jesus, because He is both fully God and fully man, was qualified to pay the price of mankind’s sin.  Jesus presented the “sacrifice of atonement” as it says in Romans 3:25, for all sins.  Because of this, I could actually have an intimate friendship and fellowship with the Creator of the universe.  I was invited to put my faith and trust in Christ, and I did so.  Life hasn’t always been easy just because I became a Christian, but I’ve never been the same since that day.  This was, without a doubt, the best decision I’ve ever made.

Kevin

“In Him [Jesus] we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that He lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding” – Ephesians 1:7-8