Monday, August 31, 2015

"To whom shall we go?"

I can imagine some are tempted to ask me, “Kevin, in the last blog you mention trusting God, even in the midst of this intense pain you’re experiencing.  Why have you chosen to do this?  After all, God took your dad.  Why trust God?  Why not blame Him, and get angry at Him?”

First of all, let me say that I’m well aware that everyone grieves differently.  No two people mourn in the same exact same way.  Some may develop intense anger at God when a loved one passes away.  While I don’t think it’s healthy to stay there, God is big enough to handle that anger.

Having said that, let me state that I’m clinging to God, not lashing out in anger at Him.  This new road isn’t one I would have chosen for myself, but I choose to trust God because I believe His will is superior.  So did my dad.  He concluded his prayers with a phrase that Jesus taught us to pray in the Lord’s Prayer: “Thy will be done” (Matthew 6:10; KJV).  My mom has said, ““Thy will be done” is really hard sometimes.”  I agree.  But the Lord saw fit for Dad to have his “homecoming” when no one would ever have predicted it was about to happen (including Dad himself).  God’s ways and thoughts are high above my ways and thoughts.  I say to the Lord, “Thy will be done.”
 
In John 6, Jesus speaks such difficult truths that we read in verse 66 “from this time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.”  Verse 67: “Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”  Peter gives a wonderful answer, he says, “Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life.”  Amen!  Where else am I going to go in this midst of this pain, sorrow, and suffering?  I’m going to run to God.  Without Him, I’m sunk.  Psalm 73:26 is a verse that has meant a lot to me over the years, and it means even more now; it reads, “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

Kevin      

No comments:

Post a Comment