Friday, June 9, 2017

A super example

I’ve previously said these words in this blog, but it’s worth repeating: the older I get the more I respect and appreciate Superman.  I don’t say this because the Man of Steel has those impressive powers, or even because he was the first of all the superheroes.  No, I love Superman because of his goodness, morality, and exemplary character.  I’m in full agreement with H. Michael Brewer when he states this in his excellent book “Who Needs a Superhero?”: “While invulnerability and super strength are undeniable assets, Superman’s heroism is ultimately rooted in his heart, not his biceps.”

One could probably cite a hundred examples of Superman’s character (I was reminded that Christopher Reeve’s Superman actually took the time to rescue a cat from a tree, to the delight of a young girl who was worried about her furry companion!), but I like the example that is cited in B.J. Oropeza’s book “The Gospel According to Superheroes”:

“Superman has modeled enduring values repeatedly throughout his history…In one episode of the animated series Justice League Superman hangs on chains from a wall while his enemy spits in his face and tells him how weak he is.  After his enemy leaves, he casually rips the chains off the wall.  When asked why he did not show his strength while being insulted, Superman replies with an answer resembling Christ, “It’s called turning the other cheek.”  Later in the same episode Superman refuses to kill this same opponent and is even willing to sacrifice his own life for the opponent’s home planet.”

A little while back, I purchased a remembrance decal for my car.  It has a white cross with a caption that reads “In Loving Memory”.  With the adhesive letters provided you can stick on the name of the person you wish to memorialize.  Mine reads: “In Loving Memory: Dad “Superman” 1954 - 2015”.  My dad’s heroism was evident because of his selfless character, and how he always looked out for the good of others before himself.  Sounds a lot like Superman to me.

Let me conclude by citing from H. Michael Brewer’s book once again.  He puts it so well when he writes, “Ordinary people abound with heroism.  I could make a long list of quiet, overlooked people who have inspired me by their faithfulness; most of these people would be shocked that I find anything heroic in their lives.  True heroism rarely involves front-page rescues or superhuman achievements.” I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to tell my dad on more than one occasion how his influence impacted me.  And even though Dad is currently enjoying his Heavenly reward, I continue to be inspired by his godly influence, to this very day.

But let me try and make this a little closer to home for you.  I suspect that you know of a dad who inspires you because of their quiet but heroic faithfulness to their family, church, neighborhood, country, and most importantly to God.  I want to challenge you: as Father’s Day approaches, take the time to thank that man for his influence in your life.  Send him a card, text, e-mail, or even face to face interaction. Whatever route you choose to go, I suspect your encouragement will brighten his day.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment