Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The incredible power of a godly life

A few weeks ago, I had an interesting experience: I was actually mistaken for someone else.  I was at an event where my pastor and his wife were being honored for their decades of ministry.  At one point, a lady came up to me and asked me if I was the emcee for the event.  Presuming that she was joking, I replied that I guess so.  Then she asked me if I was still on the radio.  At that moment, I understood what was happening.  This dear lady was confusing me with my dad.  I had to explain the whole situation.  The man before her was Kevin Bauer, not Jerry.  And while he and I have a resemblance, Jerry Bauer had passed away unexpectedly almost two years ago.  The poor lady was embarrassed, but I told her that it completely understandable.

This case of mistaken identity was surreal, but as I thought about it some more, it dawned on me that if my dad lived a rebellious, defiant, lifestyle it might have been a very different experience for me.  For instance, imagine if I had to admit, “he made shameful choices.  I’m trying to make amends for the disgrace he put on the family name.”  Thank God I didn’t have to say that because it isn’t true.  I actually told the uniformed lady that my dad was the most selfless person that I knew, and that I wanted to follow in his footsteps.  To put it another way: I may look like my dad physically, but I want to look like him in his unselfish conduct as well.

My brother, Mark, said something quite apropos at my dad’s service.  I plan to share the entirety of his comments on a future blog, but for today, consider this important excerpt: “I want to thank him for making me the person I am.  He didn’t teach me through words, by preaching at me, he taught me through example.”  Amen!  Eric Metaxas, in his book, “7 Men and the Secret to Their Greatness”, puts it this way:  “You can talk about right and wrong and good and bad all day long, but ultimately people need to see it.  Seeing and studying the actual lives of people is simply the best way to communicate ideas about how to behave and how not to behave.”  My dad lived out this concept.

I recently went to a family reunion.  One of the highlights of this trip was spending time with my Great Aunt Oca.  She is in her 80’s now and she just shines for Jesus.  At one point, when she was given the floor, she spoke of this same concept; living your faith, not just speaking empty words that don’t back it up.  She sang an old hymn written back in the 1920’s called “What You Are” by H.S. Lehman.  Check out these powerful words: 

“What you are speaks so loud that the world can’t hear what you say.  They’re looking at your walk, not listening to your talk; they’re judging you by your actions every day.”  For all the wonderful benefits that words have, I submit to you that modeling a godly lifestyle is an undeniably powerful concept.  I’ve renewed my commitment to living my faith out, and I trust you will do the same.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment