Sunday, June 18, 2017

Reflections on Father's Day

Happy Father’s Day!  I have several reflections I want to share.  First of all, in honor of my dad who loved to share the origins of holidays, let me begin today by citing some information on how Father’s Day came to be.

“It is believed that Father’s Day was first observed on June 19, 1910, in Spokane, Washington, through the efforts of Sonora Smart Dodd, a Christian woman and the daughter of American Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart.  Sonora’s mother died when she was age 16, and she wanted a day that would commemorate and honor fathers like her own, who had raised her and five other children.  Once she began soliciting the idea of an official Father’s Day she met some opposition, and even derision, but she persevered.  A bill was introduced in Congress in 1913, and in 1916, President Woodrow Wilson spoke at a Father’s Day celebration in Spokane, Washington, wanting to make it an official holiday, but Congress still resisted.  In 1924, Calvin Coolidge became involved, and in 1930 a national committee was formed by various trade groups in an effort to legitimize the holiday.  The battle continued, and in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson made a proclamation for the third Sunday of June to be Father’s Day.  Finally, it was made an official national holiday when President Nixon signed a similar proclamation in 1972”


Secondly, I want to encourage you to make this day extraordinarily special for your dad.  This is important for several reasons, for one, because we don’t know how long a life we will live.  You say, “My dad is healthy; he exercises and he watches his diet.  His father lived a long life, so my dad will too.”  I’m sorry but none of that matters.  I know whereof I speak.  I remember when I used to think like that regarding my own father.  But Dad, to the shock of everyone, didn’t get to see past the young age of 60.  You can rattle off all the statistics on life expectancy, proper diet, and whatever else that you want to cite, but it doesn’t change the fact that life is a fragile gift.  You can be seemingly healthy and pass away tomorrow.  Incidentally, this is true not only for your dad, but it’s true for you and me as well.  Tomorrow is not guaranteed even for the person who is in their 20’s or 30’s.

Frasier Crane, both in the TV show “Cheers” and in his popular spin-off “Frasier” spoke of how important it is to express to your loved ones how much they mean to you.  The “Frasier” storyline that prompted these words came from a rather dramatic narrative for a comedy show: Frasier’s brother, Niles, discovered he needed to have bypass surgery due to a blockage.  The severity of this news reminded everyone how precious the gift of life and health really is.  That’s an important lesson from a TV show.

Thirdly, and in closing, I can’t conclude this blog without bragging on my dad a little bit.  I know I’ve highlighted him a lot already this month, but it doesn’t feel right to compose a Father’s Day blog without referencing him.  I was recently at a grocery store and I saw a hash tag for Father’s Day that read: “#BestDadEver”.  I knew what I wanted to do at some point in this Father’s Day blog, and that is this:

#BestDadEver

I’m proud to be Jerry Bauer’s son.  I want to be as honorable, noble, selfless, and heroic as him.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment