Monday, June 11, 2018

The week leading up to Father's Day

In acknowledgment of the fact that Father’s Day is this Sunday, I have some things I want to say.  At this point, I don’t know how many blogs I will submit this week, but I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about the subject of fathers and Father’s Day.

For today, I wanted to share that I recently saw an episode of the TV show “Father Knows Best” that I thought was apropos.  For the uninformed, this was a TV show that premiered way back in 1954 (interestingly, this is the year that my own father was born).  It featured the Anderson family: Jim and Margaret, the parents; and their three children Betty, Bud, and Kathy.

In the episode, the local newspaper had announced a contest to nominate the “father of the year” by asking children to compose a 25-word essay stating why they believed their father deserved the honor.  The episode began with the Anderson children thinking about what they were going to write regarding their father.  They were having trouble with exactly what to say.  This was made worse when the older children each got angry with Jim over decisions he had made regarding two separate situations.  They felt he was being unfair, but they were the ones who were in the wrong (it is a show called “Father Knows Best” after all!).  As the story progressed, both children saw their dad’s wisdom.

So, in the end, the children surprised their dad by sharing that they wrote these words for the contest: “We think that our father, James Anderson, should be named Father of the Year because he’s our guidepost on the road of life.  Although when we stray from paths he’s marked so right, he doesn’t say ‘I told you so.’”  I confess that I got misty-eyed as I heard these words of honor being read to Jim.

I suspect that there is someone who has read this, and inwardly you are contending that this episode is presenting an unrealistic version of fatherhood.  I concede that the Anderson children’s essay was so complimentary that they almost paint their dad as a perfect model.  The thought is nice, but fact of the matter is even James Anderson isn’t a perfect father.  Furthermore, there is no such thing.  Certainly there are fathers who are worthy of honor (and by the way, if you have such a dad, I encourage you to tell him), but you won’t find a perfect father; not on TV, and not in real life.

Perhaps your relationship with your earthly father is more adversary than supporter.  It’s sad, but I know this is possible.  But, in my mind, the Anderson’s essay actually points us to God.  You say, “You lost me.  What are you talking about?”  Did you know that Jesus, the unique Son of God, repeatedly called God “Heavenly Father”?  Check out Matthew 6, for example, and see how often this designation is given in that chapter alone.  The Psalmist said, “Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me” (Psalm 27:10).  Run to God, the “Heavenly Father”.  He will embrace, accept, and receive you with open arms.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment