Friday, June 22, 2018

When God says "no"

There are times in life when God says “no” to something that you wanted.  This was something that you felt was reasonable, but He mysteriously chooses to decline your request.  I could cite several illustrations of this in my life, but let me give you just one example. 

Today at work, I learned that a coworker of mine recently got engaged.  While I’m certainly very happy for her, she is probably 20 or 21 years old (although I’m guessing on this; I don’t ask a female her age).  Her life story is to get engaged in her 20’s.  By contrast, I’m turning 37 next week, and I’ve never been married, or engaged.  It doesn’t mean that I’ll never be married, but to this point anyway, God has said “no” to this desire.

How should you respond when God says “no” to you?  Actually, I addressed this in a blog back in January of 2012.  In a blog I titled “God’s ways and man’s ways” I began by talking about how there are times in my life when God chose to go in a different direction than I anticipated.  And then I said these words:

“Have you ever been there?  You thought God was going to go one way, but instead He went in another way altogether, and it shocked you.  What do we do in these situations when God makes absolutely no sense to us?  In Isaiah 55, God says, 'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways…as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways.' 

I own a precious cat named Belle.  She is my faithful companion.  Wherever I go, she goes.  Recently, I was playing a video game and, of course, Belle was right there with me watching me play.  It occurred to me that my cat had absolutely no idea why I was holding a controller and looking so intently at a TV screen.  Furthermore, if I stopped and explained to her what I was doing or why I was doing it, she wouldn’t get it.  My thoughts and ways are higher than hers.  I think that’s an example of how we are with the Lord.  If God stopped and explained what He was doing and why He was doing it, we wouldn’t comprehend a single word of it.

In those times when I became perplexed, even angry, at the way God is moving in my life, I have discovered that the best thing to do is to submit to His way.  One of my favorite preachers, Michael Youssef, recently said in a sermon that when God’s plan differs from ours, the best course of action is to realize that God’s plan is far superior.”  


I conclude by stating that I affirm once again today what I did back in 2012: God’s way is best.  I trust Him and His plan for me. 

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment