Sunday, June 14, 2020

A milestone in a pandemic

Barry Allen (A.K.A. the superhero “The Flash”) once said, “Everyone secretly thinks they have figured out what their life is going to be like.  But what no one ever considers is that life has its own plans for you, whether you like them or not.  And so you’re left with a choice: you can either embrace the change and move forward, or fight it and be left behind.”

I start with that because, one week ago, I celebrated an anniversary: on 6/7/19, I launched my other blog.  I debated whether I should mention that in this blog.  The reason I decided to do so is because I want to use it as an example.  When that other blog was successfully launched, obviously I had no idea that we would subsequently endure the craziest days we have endured in history.  The coronavirus outbreak has turned everyone’s world upside-down; I have certainly felt the insanity of this pandemic in my own life.

There are actually teachers today who assert that if you are a Christian, you are assured a life of health, wealth, and prosperity, devoid of suffering.  These teachers are charlatans.  The Bible indicates the exact opposite.  Jesus said in John 16: “In this world, you will have tribulation.”  2 Corinthians 4 says, “We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed” (verses 7-8).  

Arthur Ashe is helpful here.  In his book “God on the Streets of Gotham” he writes, “Our faith doesn’t keep us from suffering.  It doesn’t save us from the anguish of losing a parent or child, the pain of losing a job or failing a class… “Finding God does not mean building a house in a land of no storms,” an anonymous believer once said, “but building a house that no storm can destroy.” ”

2 Corinthians 1:8 reads: “For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life.”  Can you relate?  Is it hard to just get out bed in the morning?  Check out the next verse: “Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead.”
   
Many years ago, I was in a church service where a guest preacher spoke; at one point, he made a tremendous statement.  He said, “When God’s will crosses my will, I am presented with this idea: [God says to me] ‘My ways aren’t your ways, but you can trust Me, because I am good.’”  I love that sentence!  Since God is good, we can trust Him.  Has 2020 rocked your world?  Of course it has.  I don’t even have to ask!  But in my own life, God is asking me to renew my trust in Him.  To make it grow deeper.  I’m going to do that, and I want to invite you to do the same. 

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment