Sunday, June 21, 2020

"Everybody loves a hero" - Father's Day, 2020

I recently began watching the Spider-Man trilogy with Tobey Maguire again.  First of all, I can’t believe that the first film was back in 2002 (it makes me feel rather old).  While I appreciate the work of both Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland in the role, no one will ever top Tobey Maguire’s portrayal.  This Peter Parker had nobility, selflessness, and valor that seemed to emanate from his heart straight to the audience.

In 2014, I wrote a Memorial Day blog on heroism.  It almost goes without saying that I stand by what I said about the amazing heroes who gave their lives on the battlefield for this country.  I reiterate my appreciation every Memorial Day, and I do so again today.  But it struck me that the words that I wrote in 2014 are also equally applicable to my father, Jerry.  His example, unselfishness, and honor inspire me to this day.  Therefore, I want to share that blog again here with Dad in mind.  The title of that blog from 2014 and today are the same: “Everybody loves a hero.”


There’s a marvelous scene from the movie “Spider-Man 2” that recently came to my mind.  I was recalling a touching moment between Aunt May and Peter as she eloquently speaks to Peter about the virtue of heroism.  This is a topic that everyone should be thinking about on this special day that we honor the memory of our fallen heroes. 

Let me give you the context of the scene of the film.  Peter Parker is fed up with being Spider-Man.  He sees it as a thankless chore.  He announces: “I’m Spider-Man no more” and throws his Spider-Man suit into a dumpster.  It’s not clearly stated how much time has passed, but crime begins to go up in New York in Spider-Man’s absence.  Peter feels torn between his responsibility and his desire to live a normal life. 

Peter decides to visit his Aunt May.  He discovers that May is moving and that Henry, a young boy from across the street, is helping her move.  In the course of their conversation, Aunt May says that Henry misses Spider-Man; and that he eventually wants to be Spider-Man himself.  Peter asks her why.  Here are her words in reply:

“He knows a hero when he sees one.  [There are] too few characters out there flying around like that saving old girls like me.  Lord knows kids like Henry need a hero.  Courageous, self-sacrificing people, setting examples for all of us.  Everybody loves a hero.  People line up for them, cheer them, scream their name, and years later they’ll tell how their stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who taught them to “hold on” a second longer.  I believe there’s a hero in all of us; that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride.”



In the 2014 blog, I ended the quote there, but that’s not actually where her heartfelt words ended.  I want to conclude today with the remainder of that sentiment.  She went on to state, “Even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most, even our dreams.”  Aunt May’s words inspire Peter to resume his calling as Spider-Man.  In fact, he quotes her notion about giving up a dream, almost verbatim, to break through to try to Otto Octavius’ humanity in the climax of the film.  Her words inspire me as well.  I want to be “courageous” and “self-sacrificing”.  

Once again, this reminds me of my father, and his unselfish example.  The Bible says to honor your father and mother (Exodus 20:12).  I publicly declare my respect for my dad.  He is in Heaven now, but the older I get, the more I see the responsibilities he carried.  He made it look easy.  I want to honor Dad by striving to live with the same altruistic spirit as him.

Kevin 

No comments:

Post a Comment