Monday, July 18, 2011

God is in control

It’s a tremendous comfort for me to know that God is in control.  Of course, we don’t always understand why things happen the way that they do, but this doesn’t negate the sovereignty of God.  If we could get to place where we realize God is in control, no matter what, it would set us free. 
The Bible tells us that God puts men and women where He wants them.  Acts 17:26 says that God “has determined their [that is, humankind’s] preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings” (NKJV).  In other words, God planned it so that you would live at this point in history.  He chose where you would live, the employment that you would have, the school that you would attend, and so on. 
I don’t believe that God makes mistakes.  For example, it’s not as if God wanted me to change my job years ago, and yet He forgot to orchestrate the events that would have led me to a job change because He was too busy doing other things.  No, God has me in the job He wants for me; I am where I'm supposed to be right now.  Revelation 3 says that God is the one who opens doors that no one can close and closes doors that no one can open.  Sometimes we humans believe that we can actually pry open a door that God has closed.  Not according to Revelation 3!  We may kick the door, or knock on the door until we drop from exhaustion, but we will not open a door that God doesn’t want us to walk through.
To me, understanding God’s control is a tremendous relief.   You say, “I’m going through the worst storm I’ve ever gone through in my life right now.”  I empathize with you.  Life can be very difficult at times.  The reality is, there are no simple answers when it comes to trying to understand some of the adverse circumstances we face, so I’m not going to attempt to give one.  I do know that God is in absolute control.  He knows what He is doing, even if we don't have the slightest idea.
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment