Friday, December 16, 2011

An unusual occurrence

Yesterday afternoon, by God’s providence, I was able to be a Good Samaritan to someone.  I was getting gas at a King Soopers when I heard a lady (perhaps in her forties) talking with the King Soopers attendant in a frantic tone.  She was saying that she had locked her keys in her car.  What’s more she didn’t have her cell phone to call a locksmith – you guessed it, the phone was also in her car.  The employee was able to call a locksmith and ask them to get over there.

This lady's car was right next to mine so I walked over and offered to help in any way I could.  She explained that the locksmith was on the way, but she would be greatly appreciative if she could use my cell phone to call her work and tell them that she would be late.  Gladly, I gave it to her.  She thanked me several times, and when I saw that there was nothing more I could do, I wished her well and went on with my day.

I tell you that story not to draw attention to myself (regular readers of this blog already know that’s not the kind of person I am), but rather to try to inspire you to do the same thing.  The Bible says, “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you” (Matthew 7:12).  I’ll level with you: a part of me didn’t feel like getting involved.  I had things to do, and places to go.  But I decided to jump into action when I was struck with the thought that if I were in her position I would want someone to come over and see if I needed help.  So that’s what I did.

Let me issue one important warning particularly for the ladies who are reading this (but this also applies to the men as well).  It is important to use discretion and common sense before offering to help someone.  We live in a dangerous, twisted world where bad things happen every day.  Before you offer to be a Good Samaritan assess the situation as best you can.  Be prudent and use your best judgment.  Stay safe.  Jesus said, "Be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves" (Matthew 10:16).   

That said, God has granted me the opportunity to be a Good Samaritan several times before; I can tell you that not only does the person being helped receive a tremendous blessing, the person offering the help also has their spirits lifted.  You’ll have to contend with a number of things such as your schedule, fear, indifference, a bad day at work, and so on.  Even so, I encourage you to be a Good Samaritan whenever God grants you the chance.

Kevin

“Each of you should look not only to your own interests but also to the interests of others” – Philippians 2:4

No comments:

Post a Comment