Friday, December 2, 2011

A gift for Jesus

I find it somewhat ironic that on the day that we observe the birth of Jesus Christ, we exchange gifts with our family and friends.  Don’t get me wrong: I absolutely love the concept of gift-giving at Christmas.  I think it’s a great thing that we are able to express our love and appreciation to others by bestowing them with a present.  Jesus Himself said, “It’s more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35).  I know from experience that this sentiment is true.

But having said all this, it’s Jesus Christ’s birthday celebration, right?  So why do we give gifts to everyone else except Jesus?  Have you ever thought about giving a gift for Jesus this Christmas?  I’ve immediately lost some of you.  You are thinking, “How exactly do you propose that we give a gift to Jesus?”  Admittedly, this is a bit of a challenge.  However, I believe that we can do something that is exclusively for Jesus and Jesus alone.

For example, when Jesus was on the earth, He loved little children.  So perhaps you could sponsor a child through a reputable source like Compassion International or World Vision.  Personally, I’ve been the sponsor of a child through Compassion International for several years.  I can attest that you do obtain great joy as a result of sponsoring a child.  But perhaps I shouldn't have even mentioned that, because it’s not about what feelings we derive; it’s simply about presenting Jesus with a gift.

Perhaps the Lord will prompt you to forsake a sinful habit.  Our gift to Jesus doesn’t have to be monetary.  It would thrill the Lord if you finally discard that nagging (and ultimately harmful) sin.  Or maybe He will ask you to serve in a soup kitchen this holiday season or at some time in the new year.  It's so easy for us to get lost in our own little worlds.  I would wager that Jesus would love it if we were to take our eyes off of ourselves and devote some of our time to serving someone who is less fortunate.  Maybe He will say, “You know what I'd really like for My birthday?  I’ve given you all these gifts and abilities; I'd really just like you to pledge to use them for My glory rather than for your own.”   

Really, I don’t know exactly what Jesus would want.  I’ve just been rattling off suggestions as they come to me.  But I don’t think it’s wrong to just ask Jesus Himself!  Just as we ask the person who is having a birthday what he/she would like, you and I can simply ask Jesus what it is He would like in prayer, and then listen for His answer.  This is an exercise that I’m practicing this Christmas season (and by the way, to give credit where credit is due I first heard this notion of giving Jesus a gift from my mother; I’ve just taken her idea and ran with it).  Perhaps you will be inspired to join me.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment