Monday, February 4, 2013

My allegory (part 1)

I am currently going through a college class where we were recently asked to write an allegorical paper that documents some of the major spiritual events that occurred in our lives.  While this is the first time that I’ve ever tried my hand at writing in the genre of allegory (so I’m not at all proposing that I’m an expert at it), I still really like the way that it turned out.  I have decided to share it with you.

The way I have chosen to do this is to submit it to you in installments.  The paper ended up being five sections, so for today I will share the first segment with you.  Next time, I’ll share the second chapter, and so on.  I realize that this is a bit different format than normal for this blog, but I hope that you will enjoy it.  More than that, I hope that it shows you the greatness and majesty of the God that I serve.

“Long ago, a baby named Unbeliever was born.  For the first few months of this boy’s life nothing remarkable occurred, but that changed when Unbeliever was just four months old.  A cruel and unforgiving adversary named Disease kidnapped Unbeliever and took him to his Fortress of Illness.  Disease allowed Unbeliever’s parents to continue to feed and nourish the child at various times of the day.  While this may be perceived by some as mercy, it really was anything but that.  It was despairing for Unbeliever’s parents to see their boy in Disease’s icy grip.  They didn’t have the power to release him from the Fortress of Illness.

This episode continued for six months.  At this point, Unbeliever was on the brink of death.  When all seemed lost a brave hero, who rode on a white horse, galloped up to the Fortress.  Disease was furious at this intrusion.  “Who are you?”  Disease fumed.  “I am who I am” (Exodus 3:14; NIV), the Hero responded, “and I’m here to rescue this poor boy from your clutches.”  “Not without a fight,” Disease replied.  Disease took out a sword, but the hero also had a sword.  You would be incorrect to call this a sword fight as the Hero subdued and conquered Disease in mere moments.

After this, the Hero made His way to the room that Unbeliever was trapped in; He skillfully kicked down the door.  Unbeliever’s parents were by his bedside as the life ebbed away from him.  The Hero knelt down by the boy’s bed.  He spoke to the now lifeless child, “little boy,” He began.  “I say to you, get up (Mark 5:41).”  The baby opened his eyes.  “He is healed,” the hero announced to the child’s parents, who had tears falling from their eyes.

“Furthermore, Disease is defeated.  Take the boy and return to your home.  Do not neglect to pass on to him what has happened here today.”  “Thank you, kind sir, thank you.  But what is your name?”  Unbeliever’s mother asked.  “I am known by many names,” the rescuer answered gently.  “But for today, “I am the Lord who heals you”” (Exodus 15:26).

The gallant Hero got on His white horse and rode off into the distance.  The boy’s parents were obedient to the Hero’s request to pass this saga’s events to their son.  They wrote a song, glorifying and praising the One who had rescued their boy from Disease’s clutches as they sang it for the rest of their lives.”

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment