Tuesday, July 18, 2017

“Not all heroes wear masks” (part 1)

Even though the movie, “Batman and Robin” is a pretty bad movie, there is one scene in it that I love.  In context, Bruce asked Alfred if he ever regretted spending his life working for the Wayne family. “Looking after heroes?  No, sir.”  Alfred replied.  He went on to say that he regretted that he couldn’t be out there fighting with him.  “Well,” Bruce began.  “Not all heroes wear masks.”

To commemorate the two-year anniversary of my dad’s unexpected trip to Heaven, I recently watched his funeral service again.  I’m not ashamed to admit to you that I cried my eyes out.  It was a highly emotional incident for me.  I’m going to organize some of the thoughts that were spoken that day and give them to you here.  I do this to honor my dad, Jerry Bauer; a hero who didn’t wear a mask; a faithful man of God who will never be forgotten.  Today’s content, as you may have noticed from my title, is just the first part.

One of the themes that presented itself a lot in Dad’s service was his commendable example.  For instance, Jack Pelon, General Manager of KPOF radio, AM 91 the Point of Faith – the Christian radio station that my dad served for four decades – said in prayer, “His life of faith and trust in You is an example to all of us.”  My brother Mark, said, “He didn’t teach me through words, by preaching at me, he taught me through example.”  A sentiment from a Facebook post was cited at one point; the person wrote, “Jerry lived a life we should all aspire to.”  Pastor Bill Oudemolen, in his remarks at the end of the service, stated that my dad “earned his living through his words, and yet he made his mark through his life.”

Denise Washington-Blomberg, one of my dad’s colleagues at the radio station, was gracious enough to give a voice to the reflections that my mom had composed – and I edited.  In large part, Mom gave what she called “snapshots” of my dad.  She gave the snapshot of how dad was a faithful husband, who loved her like Christ loves the church.  She spoke of how Dad intuitively knew that he was going to marry my mom, since she was 11 years old.  His devotion to her simply cannot be overemphasized.  She cited how he was willing to protect his family, with his life, if need be.  She told a story of how, a few months into their marriage, Dad protected her from a group of men who broke into their house.  There was no violence, but Dad had a baseball bat, and he was willing to use it.

My dad’s love for his family was a big theme throughout the service, and rightly so.  To highlight the huge impact that Dad made on my brother and me, I’m going to share the high praise Mark and I gave him in the service in part 2 of this; for today, it’s sufficient to state that “Grandpa” was a name he was happy to wear.  It was presented, through a beautiful photo montage, how Dad spent lots of quality time with his grandchildren.  And, I can tell you that he treasured every minute of it.

It was described often in his service how organized my dad was.  His desk at his work was brought up several times as an illustration of this fact; it was immaculate, clean, and orderly.  But more than simply being organized, he was also detailed, structured, and meticulous in what needed to be next in the activities of the day.  I thought my mom put it best: she called Dad “the master planner” in her reflections.  He was this way at his workplace, as a Christian radio announcer, and he was also this way at home.  That was who he was in his intrinsic personality.  There is more that I want to say, but this blog feels like it is getting long, so let me wrap it up here for today.  Check back soon for part 2.

To be continued!

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment