Friday, July 7, 2017

Remembering a beloved pastor

Today, I wanted to highlight a special pastor from the past by the name of Rick Ferguson.  Rick was used mightily by God.  Not only did his ministry have a marvelous impact on the Bauer family, but his ministry touched the lives of thousands of other people as well.  Pastor Rick was articulate, bold, and crystal clear in his preaching of the Word of God.  Furthermore, he was a snappy dresser, decked out with immaculate suits.  

One of the things that also struck me was Rick’s refreshing candor and honesty. For example, Rick wasn't afraid to publicly share how inadequate he felt in the calling that God gave him.  He was quick to point out that without God's power and help, he wouldn't be able to fulfill his life mission.  There was no pretense or false bravado with Pastor Rick.  He told the truth, even if it was about his own struggles.

Perhaps the biggest aspect of this man was that his walk matched his talk.  Too many leaders want to propose a “do as I say, not as I do” mentality.  This kind of mindset is ultimately doomed to failure.  Pastor Rick modeled integrity, Christ-like character, compassion, kindness, and genuine humility.

Incredibly, it was 15 years ago this month – July of 2002 – when this beloved pastor, Rick Ferguson, passed away at the young age of 46 in a car accident.  Time flies!  I remember it like it was yesterday.  This was the first loss that taught me firsthand that tomorrow is not a given; it is a gift.  Let me state that again: tomorrow is not a given; tomorrow is a gift!

In the last sermon that Rick preached on Earth, he said that there are four words that sum up the entire Christian life; they are: “Not I, but Christ.”  It’s a powerful and thought-provoking statement.  I’ve been letting this sentiment wash over me afresh.  Just four words: “Not I, but Christ.”  There’s a line in a Christian song that goes as follows: “I will not boast in anything, no gifts, no power, no wisdom; but I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection.”  I’m convinced that Pastor Rick would add his “amen” to that.

Let me wrap it up with this.  There is a phenomenal truth.  For the man, woman, boy, or girl who has been reconciled to God, through Jesus Christ, they are on their way to a glorious utopian paradise called Heaven.  Death is not the end; there is an afterlife.  Psalm 16:11 says, “In Your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”  Rick Ferguson has been experiencing the reality of this verse for 15 years now.  Incidentally, did you notice the words “pleasures forevermore”?  John Newton put it this way in his classic song, “Amazing Grace”: “When we’ve been there ten thousand years…we’ve no less days to sing God’s praise than when we first begun.”

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment