Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Honor your pastor

Just in case you didn’t know, I thought I’d inform you that October is Minister Appreciation month.  I want to encourage you to do something this month to honor your pastor.  Get him a thank you card, or an appreciation card, or perhaps even a tangible gift.  Hebrews 13:7 says, “Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you.  Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.” 
In that vein, I want to highlight my pastor, Bill Oudemolen.  Here’s a picture of him and his wife, Jan.

When I think of the man who “speaks the word of God to me” and when I “consider the outcome of his way of life” I find myself so thankful for Pastor Bill.  I thank God for directing my path to a pastor who refuses to compromise or water down the Word of God, both in his messages and in his daily life. 
In Romans 4:3, Paul asks this question: “what does the Scripture say?”  Pastor Alistar Begg once said something like, “Paul’s question here is a great question to ask in every area of life.”  This is also a question that Pastor Bill asks and answers in his preaching week after week.  He may not use those words, but that's always his intent.  He always brings our attention to what the Word says.
In his everyday life (once again, I'm attempting to “consider the outcome of their way of life”), Bill embodies a statement from Rick Ferguson in his book “The Servant Principle." he writes, "True servants do not draw attention to themselves.  In fact, they will try to divert the attention away from themselves, pointing instead to Christ and others."  That’s Bill, right there!  

I'm quite sure that Pastor Bill would prefer that I direct the attention to God today instead of focusing on him.  But the Bible says, "Respect those...who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you.  Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work (1 Thessalonians 5:12-13).  That's what this whole blog is about today.  I'm attempting to convey the respect, and the high regard I have for my pastor. 

Kevin  

No comments:

Post a Comment