Friday, October 14, 2011

A picture is worth a thousand words

This week’s photo assignment in my photography class called for a picture that expressed my faith.  So this is the picture that I presented.


These three crosses can be found at my church (Foothills Bible Church in Littleton, Colorado).  This image represents my belief in the substitutionary atonement.  That is, that Jesus Christ died on the cross in my place, as a payment for the sins that I’ve committed.  1 John 4:10 says, “This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.”  1 Peter 3:18 emphatically declares, “For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.”

Not only is the cross included in my picture, but notice also the sun on the left side of the shot.  I took this photograph at a time when the sun was beginning to set over the crosses, but symbolically it depicts my belief in the resurrection of Jesus, that the Son of God arose from the grave.  Yes, Jesus died on the cross for us, but he didn’t stay dead; He’s alive! 

I must admit that I enjoy a good murder mystery show.  The TV show “Monk” turned me on to this genre.  In each episode, Detective Adrian Monk has to figure out who the murderer is.  One of the great tools in any detective’s arsenal is eyewitness accounts.  If someone witnessed the event, that’s testimony that is hard to dispute!  In 1 Corinthians 15:6 Paul says that Jesus was seen by as many as five hundred people.  He adds, “most of whom are still living.”  Paul is saying, “You want proof?  Here are your eyewitnesses.  Most of the folks that Jesus appeared to after His resurrection are still alive.  They’ll confirm that Jesus really is alive!"

Kevin

“For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures” – 1 Corinthians 15:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment