Saturday, October 15, 2011

Kindness: "Don't leave home without it"

A while back, I purchased a book called "How Did You Do It, Truett?" by Truett Cathy, the founder of Chick-fil-A.  I bought this book primarily to aid me in a final paper I was writing for a CCU assignment.

I wanted to share a brief excerpt from the book.  He writes, "The theme for our annual business seminar for Chick-fil-A franchise Operators one year was, "Courtesy is cheap, but it pays great dividends."

Think about that statement.  "Courtesy is cheap, but it pays great dividends."  I submit that this quotation is accurate whether you are in the food service industry or not.  I looked at synonyms for the word "courtesy" in my Thesaurus and I discovered that the very first one is the word kindness.  That's really no surprise; the Bible endorses kindness.  For instance, Ephesians 4:31-32 says, "Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you with all malice, and be kind to one another."

Years ago, American Express had this slogan: "Don't leave home without it."  As you may have seen, I've borrowed that slogan in my title today for the trait of kindness.  We really should have kindness with us every day.  I really think that we underestimate just how powerful kindness or courtesy really is.  The fact is, you and I can make someone's day if we simply do what the Bible says and "be kind to one another."
 
Kevin

"Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, [and] longsuffering" - Colossians 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment