Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The amazing blessing of fellowship with God

Have you contemplated recently how amazing it is that you and I can actually experience fellowship with God?  It’s mind-boggling to me that the God of the universe allows us this opportunity, but He does!  There’s a bit of a snag however: I’ve discovered that when we choose to sin, we lose that fellowship with God.  Please stay with me: I’m not saying that when a Christian sins they lose their salvation.  I don’t desire to be overly controversial, but I contend that a Christian can’t lose their salvation.  However, I do believe when we choose to sin, we lose intimacy or closeness with God. 

I liken this concept to a husband and wife relationship.  If one spouse transgresses against the other in some way, the marriage is still intact.  But their fellowship, their closeness, their intimacy has been damaged.  The guilty party must come to the other and ask for forgiveness to restore that intimacy.  It’s the same way in our relationship with the Lord.

My earnest hope for anyone who reads these words (myself included) is that we would highly value our fellowship with the Lord, and prize it for the incredible gift that it really is.  Furthermore, the next time we are tempted to dabble in sin, I pray that we will remember that if we go down that road, the sweet intimacy with God will be negatively impacted.

Some of you might be saying, “Kevin, the truth is, I already have gone down the wrong road, but I want to experience that fellowship with God again.”  If so, understand that the good news for all of us is that if we lose our fellowship with God (once again, not our salvation, that’s a separate issue) it can be regained through the confession of sin to God.  1 John 1:9 tells us if we confess our sins to God, He is faithful to forgive us and cleanse from all our wrongdoings.  Praise the Lord!

Kevin

“God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord” - 1 Corinthians 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment