Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day, 2011

If anyone was wondering why up to now I've only talked about my mother in this blog but not my father, it's because Mom's birthday is in March; Dad's birthday is in September.  But since it is Father's Day, I decided that today would be an appropriate time to brag on my dad.  By the way, here's a picture of him...



Like I did when I was writing my blog about my mom, I'm finding it difficult to know exactly what to say.  Not because there's not enough, but because of the tremedous impact that Dad has had on my life.  That said I will try.
#1: Dad is wholeheartedly devoted and committed to his wife.  James Dobson is credited to have said that the greatest thing that a father can do for his children is love their mother.  I think what he means is providing a good example of how a man is supposed to treat a woman will pay huge dividends in the child's future relationships.  My dad has provided a great example, not only in this department, but in many others.
#2: Dad is a great encourager.  I love a quote by Truett Cathy in his book "It's Better to Build Boys than Mend Men."  He writes, "how do you know if your child needs encouragement?  If he or she is breathing."  My father is certainly an encourager.  He has often told me how proud he is of me and how he happy he is that can call me his son.  As you can imagine, this encouragement really makes my spirit soar as high as an eagle.
#3: Dad is selfless.  I recently watched several episodes of the TV show "Boy Meets World."  The father of that show, Alan, was consistently portrayed as a man who worked hard at his job for his family, then he came home and rather than plop down on the couch and ask to be served, he served.  I remember thinking, "Alan is like my dad."  Dad could come home and ask to be waited on, but he doesn't do this; he chooses to selflessly serve and give of himself.  This is a just a start of Dad’s admirable qualities
Incidentally, Happy Father's Day to all of you father's who read this, and also to those of you who are father figures!  God bless you all.
Kevin Bauer

No comments:

Post a Comment