Monday, November 7, 2011

Don't forget Thanksgiving!

A few days ago, I was at a Christian bookstore and they were actually playing Christmas music.  I love Christmas, but in my opinion, it is much too early to be playing Christmas songs.  Furthermore, I think it’s best to focus on Thanksgiving first, and then Christmas.  The fact of the matter is Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays of the year.

Have you ever noticed all the times that the Bible tells us to give thanks to God and to be thankful?  Do a study on the topic sometime, it is informative.  For example, Psalm 100:4 says, “Enter into his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.”  Psalm 136:1: “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.  His loves endures forever.”  Colossians 3:15 tells us, “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts…and be thankful.”  Philippians 4:6 encourages us, “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” 

I want to challenge you (and please note that I’m also saying this to myself) as Thanksgiving approaches, don’t forget to stop periodically in the midst of all that you are doing and choose to recite all the gifts and blessings that you have, and remember to thank God for them.  Remember ultimately He’s the one who gave you all those gifts and blessings.  We should always be thankful, but as Thanksgiving looms closer, it’s certainly a good time of the year to express our sincere gratitude to God.

Kevin

“I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him in thanksgiving” - Psalm 69:30

No comments:

Post a Comment