Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"Put on humility"

I was watching an older cartoon series called “Tiny Toons” on DVD today.  There was one scene that I found quite interesting: one of the characters was being presented with an award.  His response: “I’d like to thank myself; I couldn’t have done it without me.”  I don’t think this statement was meant to be a joke.  It was actually meant to show the audience just how incredibly arrogant he was (and, by the way, he did get a bite of humble pie later in the episode).  

The fact is this conceited declaration is not too far off from how many in our culture act today.  It’s true that they might not say it, but with their actions they express the message, “I couldn’t have done it without me.”  I thought about giving an example, but that’s not necessary because it’s so widespread.  Just do some Internet research like I did in preparation for this blog and you’ll see lists of arrogant people ranging from Hollywood actors, to the world of sports, to TV preachers.
 
The Bible presents us with a different idea than this offensive self-centeredness.  “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord” (1 Corinthians 1:31).  Jesus declared, “Apart from me, you can do nothing” (John 15:5).  Paul states in no uncertain terms “those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for him who died for them and rose again” (2 Corinthians 5:15).  Colossians 3:12 says, “as the elect of God…put on…humility” (there’s where I got my blog title for today).  The Word of God repeatedly condemns having a proud, haughty attitude.  By the way, if you want to read a great book on this subject matter, I would highly recommend “It’s Not About Me” by Max Lucado.

Some of you are saying, “I would never go around and say such an arrogant statement as “I would like to thank me.”  What kind of takeaway is there for me today?”  The way this subject matter hit me was this: as Christians, I think most of us can honestly admit that while we see the dangers of pride, there are still pockets of it in specific compartments of our lives (I know I can certainly admit that).  Thus we should pray for God’s Spirit to show us where those pockets of pride reside within us so that we can get rid of it; for His glory.

Kevin

“Haughty eyes and a proud heart…produce sin” - Proverbs 21:4

No comments:

Post a Comment